Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Recipe for Hump Day!

Well, I came home today to my husband and brother-in-law outside building a storage shed for the lawn mower and all of the other various tools/yard toys. And he says I have too many shoes!! Haaa.

Anyways, a couple of weeks ago I mentioned our new low-sodium diet in this post. I pinned a recipe for White Chicken Chili that looked amazing. Since I knew the boys would be starving, I decided to try it out...except I didn't even look at the recipe. I just started cooking and it turned out to be awesome! Every drop was eaten! (Thanks guys!)

Here's how I made it:
1 package of boneless, skinless chicken.. I used tenderloins.
1 onion
1 green pepper
1 can whole kernel sweet corn (no salt added)
1 can White Great Northern beans (low sodium)
1 can Rotel (mild)
About a half cup of water
About a half cup of chicken stock/broth
Cumin to taste   - I used quite a bit!
Paprika to taste - I used quite a bit!
Pinch of Garlic Powder
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
Dash of dried cilantro
Salt substitute
Black Pepper

Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and the garlic. Cut up the chicken into bite sized pieces and cook it with the green pepper and onion, then begin adding the canned items/liquid ingredients. Keep tasting it and seasoning it everytime you add a new ingredient.

I also cut some corn torillas into triangles and baked them for about 8 minutes at 350. Or, you could eat the chili with warm flour tortillas. I am just proud of the low sodium content. I think the only ingredients that contained sodium would be the Rotel, stock, and beans.

Give it a try! I didn't get a pic because it was gone so fast!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment